Thursday, April 30, 2009

mint-splosion

You may have noticed me using copious amounts of mint in all my cooking lately. That is because I bought a HUGE package for the broccoli stem relish a few days ago, and have been experimenting with fun and exciting ways to use it up before it goes bad. This is so not a difficult challenge for me. I love mint!

We begin with mint-marinated-mahi-mahi (m-m-m-m).

DSCF0795

I marinated the fish (as usual, about 4 oz- I buy the 1 pound frozen pack at Trader Joe’s and parcel it out into 4 servings and then just thaw them one at a time) in oil, lemon juice, mint, orange zest, minced garlic, and a little bit of jalapeno for half an hour or so, then sprinkled with salt and pepper and broiled on one side, flipped, put on more salt and pepper and the rest of the marinade, and broiled on the other side, for about 8 minutes total.

At the same time, I broiled some MARVELOUS mushrooms!

At home we have a tapas cookbook that has a super fabulous mushroom recipe where you just take mushrooms, brush them with olive oil and broil them, and top them with a mixture of parsley, garlic, and olive oil. I have no olive oil brush, and I subbed mint for the parsley, but I just broiled them along with the fish and then when I took out the pan to flip the fish I also dabbed the herb mixture on top. It worked BEAUTIFULLY!

DSCF0791   

Mushrooms get SO MEATY AND SEXY when you broil them. They release this liquid that’s like the elixir of the gods.

DSCF0790 

Finally, plain old brown rice on the side, made slightly more exciting by the fact that I cooked it in veggie broth.

And my final mint use, another delicious glass of mint lemonade. Just as delicious and refreshing as yesterday!

DSCF0797

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for your awesome idea - I amended my recipe to include a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, optional. That would be sooo good! I may have to do a "re-do" on these soon!