Monday, April 6, 2009

thrown together

I threw dinner together based on my need to use up some more of my massive bag of spinach, the fact that it’s still rainy and gross, and a vague craving for white beans.

Et voila.

DSCF0496

We have basmati rice (white, because I’ve been meaning to use it up and cause it was already after 7 as I was starting this and I was hungry!) cooked with 2 dried apricots and some cinnamon (I love Indian rice pudding but don’t have the kind of devotion it’d require to make it- but this had some of the same flavors and was easy!). I topped it with a little bit of butter, because the only thing better than basmati with a little bit of butter is… basmati with a lot of butter.

As for the curry, I threw together some chopped onion (2 tbsp or so?), a clove of garlic, minced, and a coupla pinches each of cumin and curry powder (I’m hesitant to give my curry powder measurements, because I took my current jar from my Dad, who got it when he was living in Hong Kong, and it is OH MY GOD SPICY) in 1/2 tsp olive oil. Then I added massive quantities of spinach (it kept wilting down, I have no idea how much I put in! Look at the final volume and it’s at least double that!), 1/2 cup of garbanzos (canned, but I found out Goya makes a low sodium version! Goya beans are the most delicious! And, incidentally, the cheapest), and 2 tbsp each crushed tomato and plain yogurt. Cooked it all together for awhile. Delish!

No comments: