Friday, April 3, 2009

on the road

So today, after going to a total of one class, I am hopping on a train and going home for my cousin Rachel’s wedding! (It is the weekend of “Rachel Getting Married”, which I, and only I, find hilarious).

For fuel on the 7.5 hour train ride, I am bringing:

 DSCF0482_thumb

A big water bottle (which I forgot last time and sorely regretted), an apple, sliced up, some carrots and green pepper, sliced up, a PB sandwich, sliced up (on the train, I like my food to be as user-friendly as possible- I hate having to use those tray tables, and I also like being able to nosh on a little bit at a time, since on trains I’m just bored and eating gives me something to do)

 DSCF0483

A special shoutout to this guy. These things are SO. GOOD. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I don’t even know how it happens, but there’s this alchemy of tangy yet rich cottage cheese with the sweet yet tart blueberry mixture. They are so good it’s stupid. They’re overpriced, so I only buy them as a special treat.

 DSCF0484

I took my first shot at Trail Mix oats, a la Kath, this morning, using my new ABC trail mix (almonds, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, golden raisins). That blob in the back is cran-apple butter, to give the mixture a bit more fruitiness and flavor.

 DSCF0485

Here are my thoughts: I actually really liked the whole almonds, which I didn’t think I would, but it was really nice having a big solid crunch every few bites. The dried fruit was good, too, but I wanted more of it! Trail mix just has too high a nut to fruit ratio for oatmeal, in my opinion. I am someone who likes to start my morning off with something distinctly fruity, and the fruit was more of an afterthought in this. It was still quite proteiny and filling, though!

No comments: