Thursday, April 30, 2009

sandwich heaven

Real rough commute today, hahaha.

DSCF0783

I woke up early enough that I had time to walk to work, and I thought, why not? It’s a gorgeous day, and I get to exercise and save T fare!

This picture is from Commonwealth Avenue approaching the Boston Common, where the gazillionaires live.

DSCF0784

And this is the common itself. Yes it’s where the tourists go, but it is genuinely beautiful.

Now, my lunch was the most exciting sandwich experience I’ve had in… I can’t even remember how long.

For the past four months, I have worked around the corner from world famous Flour Bakery. And today was the first time I ever went there. Yes, I know, that is ludicrous. But WOW was it worth the wait!

My friend Becky and I could not make up our minds which sandwiches we wanted, so we decided to get two and split them. After sipping our drinks (homemade raspberry seltzer for her, iced lemon ginger tea for me) and waiting on our sandwiches (cause WOW Flour is packed!), and sitting on a bench in the sun (thus the denim in the pictures) we got ourselves…

DSCF0786

They say: roast chicken, avocado and jicama

I say: Since when was chicken this exciting?! Oh em GEE! The chicken had this kicky spice rub, and the avocado was this rich, luscious puree, and the JICAMA! I am a HUGE FAN of jicama (Becky had never had it before, so I was thrilled to teach her about it!) and this was an exceptional use of it- they had marinated it or something in something sweet, so it picked up this awesome flavor and was a GREAT foil to all the flavors in the sandwich. Their bread is also FANTASTIC. This sandwich was straight up (the other was toasted) and I really appreciated the chewy, pleasant crumb.

and…

DSCF0785 

They say: applewood-smoked bacon, lettuce, and tomato

I say: The buildup to this sandwich was HUGE. Every time I mentioned Flour at work, people would say a single word (er… phrase?) in a reverential tone: “B.L.T.”

The  sandwich went beyond my WILDEST expectations. I never really thought I was a BLT person, but just…

Imagine the best bacon you’ve ever had. Thick. Crunchy. Meaty. Everything wonderful about bacon, taken to the furthest degree.

Then the tomatoes. Firm. Sweet. I think they must’ve been grilled or roasted, because they were so flavorful!

The lettuce. Arugula was in the mix, I don’t know if there were other greens as well. Peppery. Fresh.

More of the heavenly bread, grilled so it was crispy.

And, finally… mayo! Apparently, I don’t hate mayo! It didn’t occur for me to order the sandwich without mayo and if I had… it wouldn’t have been as good! I scraped off the HUGE hunks but there was definitely still some coating the bread and fillings and… it was WONDERFUL! It was silky and smooth in texture, rich and savory and just a little tangy in flavor…

This was basically one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten in my entire life. Honestly, I never ever want to get a BLT from anywhere else ever again. Why bother?

After having a last fun chat with Becky (I worked in the cubicle next to her, so we got pretty tight by the end), and a chance to digest a BIT (although I ate that sandwich more than 5 hours ago and am JUST starting to feel the first, FAINT twinges of hunger) I wanted to treat for dessert because she treated for lunch.

So we split a chocolate and hazelnut cookie.

DSCF0788

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Chocolate and hazelnut need to just get married and live happily every after and never be apart.

I ate this taking a last look at my office neighborhood. Aw.

 DSCF0787

No comments: