Thursday, April 9, 2009

stud muffin

Oh man. I made SUPER AWESOME MUFFINS!

DSCF0545

Due to a certain point in the month, I am craving baked goods like there is no tomorrow. I threw this recipe together based on my success with the shredded wheat experiment last time, my desire to get rid of uninspiring frozen strawberries (now that I have luscious fresh ones!) and mealy old apple, and my lack of eggs but abundance of yogurt. It’s a combination of a few recipes, and makes 3 muffins.

Apple Strawberry Muffins   

1/3 cup flour (I just used all purpose)

1/2 T baking powder (seems like a lot, I know, but it worked- this recipe has no eggs, remember)

1/4 t. baking soda

1/8 t salt

dash cinnamon (I meant to add this and forgot to but it would’ve been PERFECT. Oh well)

frozen strawberries (I used the rest of my bag- maybe 2 T?)

1 T plus 1 t. milk (I used skim)

1/3 cup shredded wheat

1/2 a medium apple, grated

2 T plain yogurt (I used TJ’s nonfat Euro)

1 T plus 1 t. honey

Combine dry ingredients. Thaw strawberries (I just nuked em for 40 seconds on 60% power and then kinda mashed them with the back of a fork). Combine shredded wheat and milk (I just added them to the strawberry mixture). Make a well in the dry ingredients and add all of wet ingredients (dampened shredded wheat, fruit, yogurt, honey), stirring just until combined. Bake in greased muffin tins (since this makes 3, I filled my 3 other muffin tins with water to prevent scorching) at 375 for 18 minutes or so, until lightly browned.

DSCF0543

Here they are straight out of the oven.

Thoughts on this recipe: YUM! The texture was PERFECT, sooooooo light and fluffy but moist at the same time, despite, and I totally didn’t plan this, I just based it on the ingredients I had, the fact that it was totally fat free! I did the quick math and each muffin is about 125 calories. And they’re good sized! My muffin tins are (annoyingly) large! I think grating the apple did something awesome with the distribution of moisture, and I know yogurt, too, has an acidity that is supposed to tenderize baked goods. And I still really dig the branny goodness of the shredded wheat, it gives it a little something.

My one complaint is that it could’ve been a little sweeter (probably because last time I used this much honey, but I was using bananas as my fruit, and they’re sweeter), so if you make this either add more honey (ooh, or I bet a little brown sugar would be good too) or top with something sweet (like some jam, or some Barney Butter, perhaps). The strawberries, as you can kind of see in the picture up top, kind of sunk to the bottom, and that was fun! I bet you could vary it up with some other fruit, too, I am open to ideas!

All that being said, it must’ve been sweet enough for me, cause my brain kind of registered that I could add something sweetened on top, but then I just went ahead and scarfed an entire one down. Like I said, they were GOOD!

No comments: