Tuesday, April 14, 2009

faux-lafel

All in all, this was a pretty successful experiment! I was mad craving a falafel sandwich, so I made do with the ingredients I had on hand.

I took 1/4 cup of lentils and 1/2 cup of water, brought them to a boil, and simmered for 20 minutes or so, until the lentils absorbed all the water. Then I added 1 T. dry oatmeal, and a bit more water, and simmered another 10 minutes or so. Then I added a bunch of cumin, salt, pepper, and some hot sauce, and stirred and smooshed it. Then I went to class, and left all that in my fridge! I came back, added a wee bit of oil, formed the lentil mixture into patties. Broiled for 4 minutes or so on both sides, and voila! Faux-lafel.

 DSCF0632

I used a TJ’s whole wheat wrap (the last one! Must get more!), and my condiments were some homemade tzaziki and radishes.

DSCF0633 

On the side, some lovely steamed asparagus with olive oi and lemon juice. The. perfect. combination. I am very particular about my steamed asparagus- there is nothing I hate more than overcooked asparagus. I only steamed these for 7 or 8 minutes, JUST til they were fork-tender. And they were big!

I’m having, yet again, the “I still need to eat more!” quandary, because that meal was INCREDIBLY filling and delicious, but only about 285 calories!

No comments: