Tuesday, May 26, 2009

bowls of comfort

The past several days have involved rainy weather and an iffy tummy.

The remedy?

DURR, homemade chicken soup. GREAT BIG BOWLS OF IT!

DSCF1158

Topped with fresh ground black pepper, fresh parsley, and grated parmesan, in the Italian manner.

DSCF1153

The evolution of the broth for this soup was awesome- we had, randomly sitting in the fridge and freezer, various homemade and store bought chicken and veggie stocks in, like, 1/4 cup implements. Threw those all in.

Then we threw in the veggie trimmings (carrot tops, asparagus stems, pepper tops, mushroom stems, fennel cores, etc.)

VEGGIE FLAVA!

THEN we poached the chicken for the soup in the increasingly delicious liquid.

CHICKEN FLAVA!

The stock was oh so tasty. We used like 1/3 for the soup and the rest we left cooking on the stove for another coupla hours and froze. We will thaw when we want more AWESOME!

DSCF1154

As you can see, it was a little bit of a free for all with the ingredients. The poached chicken, adorable round pasta from Trader Joe’s, fresh carrots, frozen peas and corn, some garbanzos.  

DSCF1157

Yay for big bowls of comfort!

Brekkers this morning was another big bowl- a yogurt mess. This was GOOD. I ate it REALLY QUICKLY.

DSCF1152

This is plain nonfat yogurt, half a banana (hidden and buried), original Life cereal, slivered almonds, and a sprinkling of cranapple butter for sweetness and tang. I HIGHLY recommend this combo!

Finally, my adorable mother has now taken to photographing food too!

Here’s what she made for all of us on Sunday:

IMG_0159

She’s good, right?!

Those are briks, from one of my new favorite cookbooks, Oriental Basics. Basically phyllo filled with a super tasty beefy garlicky herby mix.

One final note- thanks for all the nice, totally unexpected comments on my last post. I realized that when I said people were making “comments” it sounded like I was talking about internet bullying, which actually I wasn’t. I’ve found that the people who read my blog always have really awesome, supportive things to say.

My problem was (and I’m trying to just chill out about it and accept that it all stems from well intentioned people) that people around me- friends, family members, whatever- are used to seeing me weigh more than I do now.

And meaning to be complimentary, they tell me I’ve lost weight and look SO GOOD. Or meaning to be looking out for my health, they tell me I’m too thin.

To repeat: I want to eat good, healthy food. I want myself to be, as a reflection of that, good and healthy! That’s all I want!

On a good day, like today, that’s what this blog is all about. I’m happy to hear that other people are getting stuff out of that!

No comments: