Wednesday, August 12, 2009

hummus happiness

One thing I’m sad about in regards to going back to Boston is I will have to part with my mother’s food processor. Food processors are the best. They help you make this:

DSCF1789

Recipe time! I wanted hummus. We had olives. None of the recipes I found were to my satisfaction, so I put a little of this and a little of that.

Greek Olive Hummus

So, roughly chop:

DSCF1787

2 cloves garlic

3 T. parsley

1/4 cup mixed Greek olives

Pulse in the food processor with a can of chickpeas (I used Goya low-sodium, my go-to brand).

Then add:

juice of 1 large lemon (or to taste)

2 T tahini

1 t. ground cumin

1 t. olive oil

1/4 cup water

Blend until beautifully smooth. Top with paprika.

DSCF1790

The olives make a lovely rich background note, and the spices are perfectly balanced in terms of smokiness and freshness.

I used the hums to make a fabulous sandwich for lunch:

DSCF1791

Atop a pita, there is grilled eggplant (I love my pre-grilling on the weekends, it’s made for such great weekday meals!), hummus (obviously) and spinach for green and crispness.

I plan to supplement my sandwich with whatever we’re feeding the kids at work. Somewhat ironically, the food bank sent us a bunch of organic greek yogurt (?!?!) What yuppies buy for extortionist amounts at Whole Foods, our kids are getting from the food bank… only to go “YUCK, PLAIN YOGURT!” I don’t really know quite what to make of this, except… more for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, how can they say "yuck" to greek yogurt, the only greatest thing on earth? I'll have some if they don't want it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The hummus looks great! And even better on the sandwich!