Friday, October 23, 2009

time warp

Sometimes I believe my body craves the nutrients it needs. Other times… my brain goes “BUTTERY BREAD CRUMBS!”

Nonetheless, I obliged. I try to be kind to my body.

DSCF2543

I had ‘em, and I had ‘em in spades :D

I let the idea kind of evolve in my brain, and I decided what I really wanted was some kind of cheesy casserole.

However.

When one thinks cheesy casserole, the thought tends to invoke nightmarish images involving fifties housewives and cream of mushroom soup. Not appealing, and also not ingredients I ever have on hand. So I winged it with what I did:

DSCF2536

Sweet onion, gorgey farmer’s market broccoli, feta, and leftover cooked brown rice.

So I melted some butter (1/2 t.?) in a pan, and sauteed up the onion (minced, about 3 T?) until it smelled nummy and scrummy. Then I added the broccoli (1.5 c?) and let that sautee awhile. Then I added the rice (one portion, cooked), about 1/4 cup of milk, and an ounce of feta cheese.

For the browned breadcrumbs, I wiped out the skillet, melted a wee bit more butter and, tbqh, added some of the roomie’s Progresso breadcrumbs. Lazy, not particularly healthy shortcut, but they were rockin.

Baked at 375* for 20 minutes. In what, you ask?

DSCF2537

Seriously, were there some kind of award that was given for most creative use of muffin tins (and there really should be), I would win it.   What I should really do is invest in a ramekin…

The main thing was really just to have them in the oven and let the top crisp up. As you can see, I ended up just scraping them out of the foil-lined cups and onto a plate.

DSCF2541

But jeepers this was tasty!

DSCF2544Cheesy, chewy, veggie-y, pleasantly crisped on top, and infinitely infinitely comforting in this hectic week of midterms and interviews and madness.

Thank. GOD. It’s the weekend now. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm that sounds good-i love crispy tops on things!

Menden @ Skinny Menny said...

Lele! Thanks for visiting my blog! I just took a look at some of your posts, and can you please come over and cook for me?? Ha, but seriously, the food you cook looks right up my alley!

fittingbackin said...

That looks awesome!! Like a mini broccoli/cheese casserole - i'm in! (the muffin tins? too funny!)

Anonymous said...

ahah yay for listening to your body :D sounds like such a great meal :)

Katie said...

I love how you made mini servings! Genius idea...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait to read more of yours.