Thursday, September 17, 2009

contentment

My camera isn’t very good, but I like this picture I took yesterday afternoon:

DSCF2153

Simple pleasures. Hot cuppa afternoon tea, lovely fresh farmer’s market apple, sunshine, LEARNING.

I had the most PRODUCTIVE afternoon catching up on reading (Chinese politics! McCulloch v. Maryland! Epidemiology! Economics! Digestion! I have quite the eclectic courseload this semester, hah) and working on my Teach for America application.

I like to think that this picture sums up Things That Make Ileana Content :D

Earlier, lunch had just seemed like work, so I tried to narrow it down to the simplest possible elements, while incorporating all the healthful things I needed.

DSCF2150

Grains: bagel, protein: hummus, dairy: yogurt.

As for the veg, the other night I noticed that the last of my MASSIVE HAUL of farmer’s market carrots were looking less than snappy, so I threw together quick carrot soup by chopping ‘em up (about 7 smallish carrots?), throwing them in a pan with a little butter and minced ginger, covering ‘em with water, boiling til tender, blending with 1/3 cup milk, and seasoning with a bit of rice wine vinegar and more powdered ginger. Not half bad.

And it made two good-sized servings, so I froze the rest for a rainy day (maybe literally a rainy day, soup’s nice for that!)

DSCF2151

Here’s what my brain has been doing lately:

“Hmm, that looks good! Let’s go ahead and put some Sriracha on it.”

DSCF2152

3 comments:

Astra Libris said...

I love your still life tea and apple photo!! Too awesome!!

Yea for reading McCulloch v. Maryland! :-)

Congratulations on your Teach for America application too - so exciting!! 3 of my good friends from back in Baton Rouge came to Louisiana via Teach for America, and they loved it!

Kristen said...

Yay! I'm glad you are applying for TFA! My brother in law works for them, and I am pretty impressed by the program!

That IS a diverse course load.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I'll have to make some carrot soup! Love that you added some Sriracha! :)