Friday, May 14, 2010

Mr. Corn Bits says hello

Lately I’ve been trying to organize my posts around a coherent theme. This is not one of those posts!

Since I’ve gotten a lot of comments about the various weird Asian foods I’ve posted about before, I thought I’d continue!

How can you not love a company that has THIS GUY as its spokesmanvegetable?

DSCF4484

CORNBITS! My little sister mentioned on the Taiwanese stepfamily’s last visit that she liked them… so they brought her back two crates! We are not complaining.

There are various types of CornBits- original, and the “CornBits Mix” containing dried peas and coated peanuts that we’ve been chowing down on, pictured below. The corn bit itself has the appearance of hominy, the crunch of a dried vegetable (considerably more substantive than popcorn) and the addictiveness of cocaine. Or so I presume.

DSCF4485

For snack food, it’s actually rockin’ in the fiber department. However, since everything is coated in coconut oil it’s also chock full o’ saturated fat! Moderation in all things :D

Moving on, more stevia!

When NuNaturals sent me all their stevia swag, they included a bazillion recipes. Seriously. A bazillion. Some were exhaustingly food bloggery (normal people do not have coconut flour in their homes!) but one immediately caught my eye: lemonade!

I love lemonade but let’s be honest- it’s a whole bunch of calories and a blood sugar spike. This is why I was stoked to try it stevia-fied!

Their technique is so cool! I halved the recipe: I combined 1/2 a cup of water and today’s form of stevia, the pure extract (this boggles my mind: this entire batch of lemonade took 1/2 tsp of stevia! The stuff is SWEET!)

Then I took two entire lemons, cut them into chunks, and, as I read in the instructions “… Place in blender and puree…”

So I did.

DSCF4476

Then kept reading…

“… until lemons are coarsely chopped”.

Er, not so much.

But it still worked! I strained the mixture into my pitcher, added an additional 3 1/2 cups of water and had some gorgeous, non blood sugar spiking, basically calorie-free, lemonade!

 DSCF4478

I enjoyed a glass al fresco with an extremely delicious lunch.

DSCF4479

Yogurt, muffin, and a salad of note:

DSCF4480

Arugula and white beans, dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Marvy!

Now as for the lemon pulp…

DSCF4477

It was sweet, it was lemony… lemon poppy seed bread!

The dry:

DSCF4481

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 T. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Stir, then add the wet:

DSCF4482

Lemon-stevia pulp (1 cup? From 2 lemons…)
1 egg
1 T oil
1/4 cup water

The batter:

DSCF4483 

Baked for 20 minutes at 350*.

And the finished product:

 DSCF4487

Pretty, eh? And a slice held together reasonably well…

DSCF4488

As for the taste?

Lemon pulp, hahahaha.

It’ll probably be palatable toasted with honey, but it’s not likely one I’ll repeat. Oh well, a fun experiment!

5 comments:

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Glad someone tried one of those recipes LOL. Definitely going to have to try the lemonade out. YUM. Drats on the bread - I had I hopes as I was reading. I LOVE lemons.

College: Raw said...

Wow, what an interesting recipe for lemonade! I love what you did with the lemon pulp; so creative! Too bad it didn't turn out as planned...

Ali said...

That's an awesome experiment!! Too bad it didn't turn out :(

The fresh lemonade sounds great!

Ashley said...

That Lemon Poppy Seed Bread still looks good even if it didn't turn out as well as you hoped. It's always fun to experiment though :-).

Anonymous said...

That lemonade looks REALLY good and so refreshing. There's something really pretty about it too.. it looks real, not artificial.