Wednesday, May 26, 2010

classy ladies

My bestest pally, Lydia, recently simultaneously celebrated her college graduation and 22nd birthday. Once I returned from Austin, I had to take her out whoo!

I love this picture of us.

lyddie and me

Taken at The Jolly Roger (people who go to the Outer Banks, this place makes the best brunch ever!) last summer at the beach.

Since we are classy ladies, and we like the ladies’ things (anyone who understands and appreciates that link has my undying love),  we headed to Grand Cru, a wine store and wine bar (I guess that’s what Vineria roughly translates to?) in Arlington.

DSCF4703

It was quite nice because you could sit outside and admire the trees and flowers and things (er… ignore the “Big Buns” sign… for the record that’s a burger place, no funny business).

*Sigh* if this were Austin, there’d be a band.

DSCF4704

The reason the seats are a bit unoccupied is that it was still… a bit early. It was five o’clock… in Newfoundland. Nonetheless, we ordered. We decided this made us “European” rather than “alcoholics”. I asked Lydia to convey this with a pose, and she obliged.

DSCF4705 

House Pinot Noir for her, Chardonnay for me. Nice deal: if you’re on Yelp and mention them, a house wine is $4!

We chatted and caught up for QUITE awhile, then admired the wine selection at Grand Cru’s shop which was impressive but overpriced.

Now, this was a first for me: I was driving home. I have drunk alcohol before. I have driven a car before. But I have not driven a car after drinking. I had one glass of wine and was not at all impaired, but I still felt a little weird about it, mentally.

So we hunted down a delicious snack to soak up the alkie-hol :D

Which led us to Tivoli Gourmet and THIS beautiful thing:

DSCF4707

Flaky-crusted, almond-sprinkled, melting apple and raisin-filled struuuuuuuuuuuudel!

Lyddie and I split one- this is a mere HALF.

DSCF4706

Scrumptious to the nth degree. All birthdays should be celebrated with wine and pastry, in my opinion (well, all adult birthdays).

Is this picture artfully blurred or just blurred? I hate that all of my posts have at least one picture I am just not satisfied with.

DSCF4708

For dinner (once I finally regained my appetite- conveniently my mother worked late so we ate on European time), I decided it had been far too long since I made this lovely pasta recipe with the classiest (and most delicious) vegetable of all time: Anna’s pasta with artichoke-walnut-lemon zest-parsley topper. NO WORDS! I slightly ghetto-fied it by not bothering with the breadcrumbs and just tossing it together as a nice cool pasta salad. It is such a great weeknight meal.

DSCF4710

It takes twenty minutes tops and it is CRAMMED WITH FLAVA. And no wonder because it contains what I would argue are two integral ingredients for adding tons of flavor with no work- fresh herbs and lemon. Yummers!

DSCF4711  

Classy: that’s a tablecloth from Greece. Slightly less classy: we took it out and put it on our dining room table… for Easter. We just haven’t bothered to put it away. We so rarely use the dining room… except for blog photographs!

5 comments:

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear said...

I'm craving pasta now, looks delicious!

Hehe, it's always good to identify yourself as Europeans rather than alcoholics ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said...

So glad you liked that pasta!!! It's a good one, alright!

I totally think drinking wine at 5 is European :-) Or four o'clock, for that matter, lol. Sounds like a fun day!

Molly said...

aw what a fun friend date day... i love it!

there is nothing wrong with some wine in the afternoon :o)

and I love that you call it European time... last night I ate on the European time schedule for sure. I am not to good at waiting that long.

MelindaRD said...

Cute pasta salad creation. Looks like you had a nice time at the wine bar. 5 pm would be so early here that nothing would be open. most places close at 3 and reopen at 6 or 6:30, some places not even until 7 pm.

Lydia M said...

new facebook profile picture, alright!