Sunday, July 19, 2009

little bites

So with the family craziness I haven’t felt like sitting down and writing a coherent blog, but I’ve still had the urge to take various pictures. Here are some common themes of my summer eating.

1. Lentils are awesome- they’re comforting and they make you saaaaaatisfied.

So I made a big batch:

DSCF1484

I simmered 1 cup raw, which results in about 2 cups cooked, so 4 servings.

Serving number one was the hot, comforting, quickly-scarfed-down work lunch.

DSCF1485

Lentils, brown rice, carrots for crunch and color, a spoonful of tapenade for flavah. Nuked all of those together, then added that bit of wrapped-up avocado you seen on reserve at the top.

A perfectly balanced combination.

Here’s a cold salad, in saturday’s lunch:

DSCF1508

1.5 or so servings of lentils (for Ma and I), delicious homegrown green beans quickly blanched, chopped celery for crunch, and green onions and homemade ranch dressing for flavah.

Theme #2: My meals often evolve. Take this breakfast yogurt bowl.

Nonfat plain yogurt, then apples and cantaloupe, then shredded wheat, then chopped walnuts:

DSCF1481

A thing of beauty, no? Look at the stratae:

DSCF1482

However, the cantaloupe was no good! And the shredded wheat wasn’t soggy! And that’s how I love it!

So minus cantaloupe and plus milk and stirring/soggifying.

DSCF1483

Hot mess but DELISH!

Theme #3: No matter how bad a mood I’m in, making a perfect omelet lifts it:

 DSCF1529

This morning’s gorge brunch :D Following serious agony over what I wanted to eat! Ultimately: omelet filled with cheddar and avocado (swoon!), grilled zucchini (heaven!), and warmed up pita (carbs!)

With yogurt n tea

  DSCF1531

Theme #4: In the summer, if I could pull it off, I would live on fruit.

Gorgeous fruit salad:

DSCF1480

And my mom’s STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!

She does the “traditional family method”, aka the Bisquick shortcake recipe!

It is somewhat redeemed by using real whipped cream and tossing the sliced strawberries with currant jelly, mmm. I just WENT TO TOWN on some of this stuff.

DSCF1534

Then I felt bad and did some much-overdue strength training with all my gung-ho energy from the sugar high. A great evening!

No comments: