Tuesday, August 3, 2010

poor (wo)man’s gumbo

On those confused days of late summer when the clouds hang sort of lurkingly in the sky raining spastically, there are few things more magical than gumbo bubbling on the stove.

DSCF5615

So like, I think, a lot of y’all, I have an ongoing list of recipes I’ve been meaning to make that numbers probably in the thousands. Sooooo Kath posted a recipe for Poor Man’s Gumbo literally years ago that I thought sounded yummy and brilliant- a veggie-heavy gumbo that used economical canned tuna instead of fancy fish.

I of course tweaked it some (since crazy lady doesn’t like onions) and sort of worked from this Cooking Light recipe on methodology, and thus my gumbo was born!

I began with Cooking Light’s method for a roux: heating 1 T of vegetable oil in a pan, then adding 3 T of flour.

DSCF5603 

Um…

I persevered, adding 10 T of liquid (I used my homemade vegetable stock- all my veggie trimmings in a crockpot covered with water for 6 hours or so yielded this beautiful, richly colored, aromatic, totally delicious stock:

DSCF5602

And then I had… a brown and lumpy mess.

DSCF5610

I was concerned. But sure enough, once I added it to my veggie mixture, the roux thickened it up beautifully, and I had a wonderful rich and tasty gumbo.

DSCF5614

A note on those veggies.

I used my favorite onion, Vidalia (I use this for almost everything- I love its sweetness!)

DSCF5601 

Along with GORJESS local veggies! Okra and green pepper (traditional gumbo uses celery but I never have any. I didn’t really miss it, quite honestly).

 DSCF5609    

For a garnish, this local fresh parsley, which may be the most beautiful, vivid green I have ever beheld. It is BEAUTIFUL. It is so vastly superior to grocery store parsley. I kind of hadn’t known what I was missing!

DSCF5613

And so I give you:

DSCF5616 

Poor Lele’s Gumbo

2 T vegetable oil, divided
3 T flour (I used white whole wheat)
10 T vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 cup diced onion (I used Vidalia)
1 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 lb okra, ends trimmed and sliced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
9 canned roma tomatoes (about half of a 28-oz can)
2 T tomato paste
3 T water
1 t Filé seasoning
1/8 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 6-ounce can tuna
2 T chopped fresh parsley

Heat a Dutch Oven on medium high heat. Add 1 T of your vegetable oil, and then whisk in flour. Cook for one minute or until flour is light brown, stirring constantly. Whisk in vegetable stock. Set roux mixture aside.

Heat remaining oil in the same pan on medium heat. Add onion and cook for ten minutes. Then add jalapeno, okra, garlic, and green pepper. Cook another five minutes. Add tomatoes, squeezing them with your hands to break them up. Then add tomato paste, the reserved roux, 3 tablespoons of water, Filé seasoning, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until your vegetables are tender. Then add tuna, and cook four minutes.

Sprinkle with parsley, serve with rice.

DSCF5617

12 comments:

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete said...

I think your gumbo looks delicious -- and you certainly don't need any celery in there either! :)

Stephanie said...

Love it! Looks delicious!!

fittingbackin said...

yummy yum! I've never cooked with okra! hmmmmm it looks fabulous!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

Great Blog!!! I am in love with Vidalia onions lately too!! My hubby and I incorporate them into like every meal, haha. I am yet to make gumbo, but your looks great!!

Rachael said...

Gumbo is one of my favorite foods - brings me back to New Orleans, where a great aunt (and great cook) lived. To this day, I'm a little obsessive when it comes to preparing my roux!

Unknown said...

i have yet to try a gumbo.. but i'm feeling inspired :)

have a marvelous day!
love
becca

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh said...

Your gumbo looks lovely! Can you believe I've never had any? Definitely need to try this recipe out :)

Jess said...

That gumbo looks absolutely delicious!!

Kelsey Ann said...

this is a gumbo that would be SERIOUSLY fun to make!! haha i love ur idea of a poor womans version <3

Kaz said...

I love gumbo! That looks like the best recipe I have seen to date for it. Yum! :D

Tina said...

That looks really good. I love veggie heavy meals like that.

christina@HOLARAW said...

oooh, gumbo! looks fantastic!