Monday, August 9, 2010

the best pizza (I’ve) ever made

Holy. Delicious.

Hey Lele, where did you get that freaking PERFECT charred, flavorful, crispy-chewy pizza crust?!

DSC00107

Why, I used my favorite implement in the land: the grill!

Yes, the wise people of the food world have been recommending grilled pizza for ages- a regular kitchen oven only goes to 500, a mere fraction of the blistering heat achievable in a proper pizza oven.

The grill, however, has HOT COALS!

DSC00097

I love that picture. I think the pizza dough looks like a flying saucer.

So here’s what I did:

First of all, pizza crust. There was a 100% whole wheat one (score) that made individual pizzas (double score!) in what’s turning into one of my favorite cookbooks, Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You), so I used that. It’s copyrighted and wasn’t excessively easy, so I don’t feel the need to share it. Just use your favorite pizza crust recipe (or even a store bought one, I hear Trader Joe’s is great!)

Then get your assembly station ready… or your plastic deck table. Whatever.

DSC00093

The dough, Trader Joe’s Arrabiatta tomato sauce (whatever, I’m making freaking homemade pizza, I’m allowed to take a tiny shortcut), peaches and jalapeno for a side project to be revealed at a later date, and pizza toppers:

DSC00095

On the left, tomato (large red and cherry-sized yellow, both local) and basil (picked off the deck mere seconds before!).

Center, caramelized shallots (also local! cooked with olive oil, salt and pepper and a wee sprinkling of sugar on medium-low for twenty minutes or so).

On the right, cheese, duh. Tonight I just used preshredded mozzarella (which FYI keeps fine in the freezer) but this recipe is so good that next time I’m gonna spring for real, classy, sliceable mozzarella.

I consulted a recent Cooking Light recipe just for basic methodology for grilling pizza. Basically, you yank out your dough into a pizza-ish shape (obviously we’re calling mine “rustic”) and then plop it right on a hot grill!  

DSC00098

And Cooking Light said to cook it for four minutes “or until blistered”, but since my dough was individual-sized and thin, it took more like two. At which point I gave it a flipsie.

 DSC00099

I live for grill marks.

You cook it for a few minutes on the second side, and then before it’s done, take it off the heat, put on your toppings, and let it finish cooking on the second side.

The directions were a bit ambiguous about covering, so I did it uncovered until I put my toppings on, at which point I covered it for like a minute, which was enough to melt the cheese and let the dough finish cooking.

So here are my beautiful finished pies!

The first, with sauce, cheese, caramelized shallots, and anchovies.

This pizza makes me glad I am single. I ate its breath-smellifying ingredients with gusto.

DSC00100

I am obviously not a “hold the anchovies” person. (Do people find that really odd, that people in movies and books and stuff are always saying “hold the anchovies?” I mean, what typical pizza joint in America puts anchovies on a pizza?)

And the second:

DSC00104

A brilliantly colored Caprese. So so so lovely.

Seriously, guys. Grill your pizza. It is the best homemade pizza I’ve ever had.

The reason we had anchovies sitting around is because my mom opened a jar to make the lentil-olive dip we so enjoyed at Easter

I have to say, anchovies are fun!

For example, a fun Sunday brunch.

DSC00089

Whole wheat bagel toasted with a thin shmear of cream cheese, tomato, and anchovies. Like a New York breakfast (except less delicious, obviously).

Rounded out with carrots and the aforementioned dip. And coffee. And the Post.

DSC00090

14 comments:

Maya said...

I do love me a grilled pizza! And actually, making pizza dough ain't so hard. It's true, Trader's does make a tasty pizza dough, and it's only 99 cents!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear said...

I've never had a grilled pizza, looks really good :)

Rhea said...

YUM. I just ate breakfast but I want that pizza NOW!! I would top mine with BBQ chicken, bacon and caramelized onions. I've never BBQ'd a pizza, but I've always wanted to.

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

I love a grilled pizza. Yum.

Unknown said...

there is NOTHING like baking your own pizza dough.. i have the scars (literally) to prove it!

hope you have a fantastic day!
love, becca
http://fromheretothereinpurple.blogspot.com

Kat (bubblegum gym kat) said...

I think I saw Bobby Flay make a pizza like that!! I must try!

Genesis said...

i may just try a grilled pizza. ive been meaning to but i never have the time to wait for my dough to rise and then grill it.

i love caprese pizzas and anchovies too :)

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

These look amazing! I must try grilling my pizza crust.

fittingbackin said...

i've yet to grill a pizza but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!

Megan D said...

Ahh how have I never grilled a pizza before?! This looks SO yummy! And summery too :)

Kaz said...

I admit, I've never seen an anchovy in my entire life. And I've never seen a pizza place that offers them. x)

Your grilled pizza looks amazing! I love pizza, but I've never tried throwing one over the coals before. :D

Lauren said...

WOW you are QUITE TALENTED!!!! That pizza crust looks BOMB! :)

katecooks said...

i dont have a grill :( but my mom keeps grilling pizzas and then sending me pictures of them & they look so amazing every time!! i'm determined to corner a friend with a grill and demand they let me take it over for dinner one night :)

Katzwink said...

I was so excited to see the plate I designed for my godmother on your wonderful blog. Thanks so much! We love your blog!!